Monday, November 21, 2011

Back to the Beginning

I've found that it's no so easy to just get back into the habit of running once you've managed to get out of it.  This is evidenced by the fact that I have been giving into every little excuse I come across not to run.  Take today, for instance.  I was planning on starting my half-marathon training today using Hal Higdon's novice guide.  Despite the fact that his schedule starts on a Tuesday, I was going to start today and just shift everything else up.  Normally, I prefer to have my long runs on Saturday mornings to get them over and done with for the weekend whereas his schedule calls for long runs on Sundays instead.  Sticking to the normal schedule Mr. Higdon outlines, however, I was supposed to "Stretch and Strengthen" today, but I ended up not doing much of either (read: any of either).  I don't even know why this is, it's not like I was doing anything more important in place of this.  I was wasting time, for the most part, so I don't even have any decent reasoning to stand behind.

Alas, it's time to regroup, let myself off the hook and take the attitude that tomorrow is a new day!  I will start my training tomorrow with a 3 mile run followed by some ab exercises.  While, in my off time, I thankfully haven't gained weight back, I have noticed my mid-section become a little softer again, which is disappointing to me and serves as a gentle reminder that I need to get back out there and get my butt going!

I've also been thinking about my running future beyond the half marathon.  I'm starting to wonder if it indeed will be an every other day type of thing as I had hoped it would when I began this quest.  I'd like to think so and it is certainly an optimistic outlook, realistically though I have to wonder if I have the staying power.  This goes especially for the summertime.  Will I really go out and run when it's like a steam room outside with levels of outlandish humidity that can suffocate a person??  I have to tell myself that I will run, even occasionally, because I don't want to think that I'm doing this for nothing.  I've always wanted this to be a healthy lifelong habit to get into, so I must tell myself that this will stick, even through the tricky summer months when there are few races to keep me going.  It's definitely been a great self-esteem booster, helping me to realize that I am capable.  It sounds so simple, and it really is, but it's also very true.  Running even for just 3 out of the last 4 months has helped me to feel better about myself because I'm doing something: something for myself and my body and just that one simple little thing a few times a week has really helped me see myself differently!            
TO DO: 3 mile run tomorrow!!

TO DO #2: Add new music to iPod Running mix

ON THE HORIZON: 22nd Annual Turkey Trot on Thursday with my brother, so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment