Friday, November 25, 2011

A Trotful Turkey Day

I know it's the day after Thanksgiving...but I was pretty busy yesterday so I didn't have time to post!  My day started out with the 22nd Annual Turkey Trot, which was just a 'fun run' so there was no official chip timing or anything.  I did try to keep my time on my watch and I think I ended up with a time not far off from my best Maitland 5k time of 38:30!  Considering the fact that there were over 5,600 runners in this race and most of them definitely did not line up according to pace times as they should've (argh!!), and that the run was through the narrow and uneven brick streets of old-downtown Orlando with cars parked on each side of the street randomly (fun little obstacles to try and get around) and that people were running with strollers and dogs on long leashes just looking to trip runners, I think I did pretty good!  I was actually pretty surprised that I made it in the time that I did, I was fully expecting to be slower than that, especially given how my last run went on Tuesday.

Tuesday, Rob decided to run with me.  I think I've decided that I'm not a fan of Rob running with me because I tend to want to talk to him rather than just kind of tuning out and running.  The run was a struggle for me, and I ended up shortening it to just 2.5 miles instead of 3 since it was getting dark and I didn't bring any reflective gear or a head lamp for light.  I was disappointed with the performance, but just figured that I at least got out there and did something instead of finding yet another excuse to stay home. 

On Wednesday, I was supposed to do a 2 mile run but I didn't end up getting the chance.  I was baking pies for Thanksgiving yesterday and I just never had the window to get out there and run.  All of this being taken into account, I think I did pretty well on my run yesterday after all!  If nothing else, at least I did it.  My next race to look forward to is the Reindeer Run on December 10th.  I think it's going to be another 'fun run' so it won't be a big event, but it will still be good exercise and should be a lot of fun!  I think I'm going to wear my reindeer antlers!  Yesterday, there were so many people in costume!  Tons of people wore turkey hats or feather headdresses, some dressed up as turkeys and one chick (who I used as a pacer) dressed up as a piece of pumpkin pie, complete with a whip cream hat strapped to her head!  It was hilarious!  I'm not sure if I'll do next year's Turkey Trot since it was a huge mess with that many people and parking would've been a disaster if my parent's hadn't come to watch my brother and I and dropped us at the start, but it was pretty fun and definitely a beautiful morning to run!

No comments:

Post a Comment