Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Week Off Indeed

Sunrise on Nantasket Beach, MA
 It turns out that I took a week and a day off from running (so far).  I did go for a walk on the beach one morning during the trip and did a whole bunch of walking around Boston, so I'm relatively content with that.  I kind of have to be though, there's no turning back time!  I'm a little worried now though because of just how easy it was for me to take that week off.  Naturally, I had some guilt early on, but now I'm just kicking back and thinking about how nice it is to not run right after work.  Hmm...something tells me I should probably start getting up and running before work so that I can avoid this feeling in the future.  (I think I'll make that my new routine.) 

Every now and then throughout the past 3 months of running, I get into a rut.  I get bored and just kind of don't want to keep doing it.  At these points, I find that changing up this routine makes it easier for myself to keep going.  I fancy myself a creature of habits and routines, I like them very much.  They make me comfortable.  However, I apparently also get restless at times too.  Making subtle changes to my routine: changing the route, trying the new trail, playing tennis, putting new music on my running mix, almost any little change helps get me out that door.  So for now, I guess, my change of routine will be to start running in the mornings.  This will also help allow me more time in the evening to finish up my grad school application and study for the GRE that I'm taking in less than 2 weeks.   

Lately I've been thinking about life beyond the half marathon.  Wondering what I'll do with myself once I check that item off my life's little 'to do' list.  At first I thought, 'Well, I'll just sign up for more half marathons, of course!'  But, I'm coming to the very likely conclusion that I don't altogether enjoy running distances very much.  Maybe this will change (I'm hoping this will change!), but if it doesn't, I think I'll probably keep my runs to about 3-4 miles at a time for the health benefits and just be happy with that.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't like this feeling that I'm letting myself off the hook so easily.  However, I'm still going to run, I'm just not going to be training on a rigid schedule and running as far.  I'll run to be fit and I'll run for enjoyment and that's all that matters anyway.  I'm sure I'll still do in-town 5K's throughout the year with my running pal Paula, but I think I won't sweat it so much after this half is done.  This is all up for reevaluation afterward, of course, but for now this is what I'm pondering. 

Side notes: I schedule the new IV infusion treatment for my MS.  I'll be going in on Monday morning to get it.  I'm hoping it works fast because I've had numbness on my right stomach and trunk for over a week now and it's really driving me crazy!  It feels so weird when my clothes rub against my skin on that side, it's creepy and kind of hard to explain.  It kind of feels like that pins and needles sensation of a leg falling asleep, but it turns to pin pricks when touched directly.  Needless to say, I don't like it and want it to stop pronto! 

No comments:

Post a Comment