Thursday, September 8, 2011

Wednesday Fun Rain Run & Thursday Recovery Walk/Run

I signed up for another 5K: the October 8th 5K!  I figured it's not far from my house and it's almost exactly a month after my first 5K this Sunday, so it's perfect!


I've also decided to go ahead and train for the 15K in November using Hal Higdon's training schedule for a beginner mixed with the Cool Runnings 5K schedule.  So far, I really think the schedule is well laid out...then again, it's only Week 1 of this training schedule.  I have already built up a 4 week running base, but I'm finding that my definition of "easy run" and most other people's (including Mr. Higdon's) ideas are a lot different!  Regardless, I'm still pushing for this as I think it will give me a really good idea of my hopes for doing the half.  I figure, by the next 5K, I should have a much better idea of how I'm doing with running and how well I like it.  I'm hoping that it grows more and more on me.  So far, to be honest, it's really hard and it's rare when I find days that are enjoyable doing it.  There are definitely those breakthrough moments when I just want to open my arms and raise them towards the sky, I feel so inspired.  But, there are also other moments when I have to keep talking to myself to mentally push myself through.  It's not so easy for me.  Lest I think I'm special though, I'm sure that's just how it is and I'll need to get used to it!

My new schedule officially began on Wednesday with a 2.5 mile run that took 37 minutes total, in the rain!  I am so grateful when I get caught in the rain during a run, it's a nice reprieve from the oppressive heat of Florida!  I walked for about 4 minutes to warm-up (this is included in both the time and the distance, as far as pace is concerned) and then followed this pattern: Run 3 minutes, Walk 1.5 minutes, Run 5 minutes, Walk 2.5 minutes; twice through.  While the first 3 minutes seemed to go fairly well, the 5 minutes seemed to stretch on and on.  I tried not to think about it and to just run, but it would seem, I am not that tough mentally.  I kept having to try little tricks or gimmicks to distract myself from thinking about the time that had elapsed.  It only got worse when the second batch of 3 and 5 minute runs came along.  See?  This is why I doubt myself about the distance thing!  If I can't even run for 5 minutes without peeking at my watch to see how much time is left, how in the world can I expect to run for miles at a time??  [This is precisely when I'm supposed to say to myself: "Baby Steps!  Remember?"]  After the run, I determined that running is simply mind over matter.  It's all mental, which is probably why it's been so hard for me in the past.  I can't seem to get out of my own head...ever.  It's weird because there will be days when I have no problem distracting myself and simply zoning out.  But on the days when I'm firmly rooted in the reality of the situation, I wonder why it can't be more like the 'zone out' days?  Why does it have to be so tough to just put one foot in front of the other??  And, I think I've figured out where the challenge lies.  It's not the physical: my body can do it.  It will do it.  It's the mental: my brain has to TELL my body to do it!  (And, for some reason, it just never wants to relay that message!)  Out of that run, though, I found that I could push farther.  That's what counts: Progress!


 Today, on the other hand, was an easy day.  I just took a quick 30 minute walk and then did some strength training after I got back.  I started using a can of soup as a weight since I don't have any actual weights.  This website I found claims that a can of soup is all you need, as a runner, for effective strength training.  I'm not used to this.  Usually, when I would weight train, I tried to max out to fatigue my muscles.  This seems more like a form of endurance weight training.  It's odd.  But, the nice lady on the website says it works, so I'll try it!  

TO DO: More new music on the iPod for the 5K!

ON THE HORIZON: The weekend....AND the 5K! (And the celebration after I complete it!)      

No comments:

Post a Comment